Erie Marathon at Presque Isle
September 6, 2012
The update we sent out on September 4th has generated a few questions that we had not directly covered in that correspondence like: showers, USATF certification, packet pick-up hours, what race did I enter?, is there a bag drop?, etc… We also had a couple folks point out the date error we made on the packet pick-up note. We listed it as Saturday, which is correct, but the date should have read September 15th (sorry). Most of the answers to those questions are listed on our website (www.eriemarathon.org. ) but a few of them are not.
Info not on our website:
- Showers – sorry there are none in the park. However, we have hired a life guard for the Lake Erie beach that is only 100 feet from the finish line. It is refreshing after a long race.
- USATF certification – we indicate on our website that we do have this certification but did not provide the actual certification code – PA12042WB.
- Event confirmation – on the website above you can “Check your registration here” . If you don’t see your name or others you are looking for in the detail list you can look it up in our live data base search under the “New” button.
- Timing chips – we are now going to use non-returnable timing chips so there will be no need to get them clipped off at the finish line – yours to keep.
- Drop bag service at start/finish – we have it… as outlined in our FAQs.
If you registered by September 1st we are going to have your first name printed boldly on the race bib, ex. CHRISTIE.
An informative brochure on the Erie Marathon will be included in your race packet. This is recommended reading for Saturday evening. The centerfold is a map with all the aid stations, restrooms, mile markers, etc…
Things to remember from our most recent update:
- Second Harvest Food Bank – remember to bring a non-perishable item for collection by J. H. Bennett Moving & Storage.
- Parking, parking, parking, …… arrive early and beat the traffic. Please follow the directions of our parking marshals on race morning.
Stay tuned for further updates!
Jan and Mike
September 4, 2012
Well, all of your serious training is done and now it is time to rest up for the big race. The weather forecast is for partly cloudy with a low of 56° and a high of 69°. Our event field is up about 25% again this year - thanks to prior participants for being our marketing department. The women have edged the men out, making up 53% of the field. But, more impressively, the women hold the four highest participant age group categories. For more event statistics, course maps, registration lists, FAQs and more 2012 race details, visit our website, www.eriemarathon.org.
A few important points for you:
- Start times are: 7:00 for the marathon, 7:15 for the 5k and 7:30 for the half marathon.
- Saturday Sept 17th – packet pick-up noon until 7:00 PM. Pasta dinner for only $10 from 4:00 to 7:00 right at packet pick-up. If time permits on Saturday, you should take a ride through the park to see where you will be running on Sunday – we run on the main road that circles the park. This is also a good time to locate restrooms that are located throughout the park.
- Parking – for packet pick-up, you can come right to the Rotary Pavilion on Presque Isle State Park. However, on race day, you will be directed to one of two parking areas: Lot 6 or Lot 8. We will have parking marshals directing you, so please just follow their directions. All parking is approximately 0.25 miles from the start. Remember that you will need to be at the park entrance no later than 6:00 AM in order to assure yourself enough time to get parked and to the starting line.
- Hotel shuttle service – I do not believe any of the local hotels will provide any sort of shuttle service to the start or from the finish of our race. We have had a few questions in this regard so it has generated the idea of providing a “Ride Share” board at each hotel listed on our website. So, if you need a ride or can provide a ride to the start, please check with your hotels front desk for a sign-up sheet. The coordination of the ride share will be up to you. A return ride share will be established right near the finish line where local volunteers for the event will check for those needing rides to local hotels. Other participants are also encouraged to stop by if they are able to provide rides to those in need. No one will be left behind – we will see that you get back to your hotel.
- Spectator areas- the start/finish area along with the Cookhouse area are ideal areas for your family and friends to cheer you on. They can walk between the areas that are only 0.2 miles apart. Viewing from these sites would be at approximately the following mile markers: start, 5.7, 13.1, 18.6 and 26.2. Refreshments and snacks will be available near the Cookhouse area for a small donation to a local charity.
- This year the Erie Marathon is partnering with J.H. Bennett Moving and Storage and Move For Hunger to turn this year's race into a giant food drive! Did you know that during fiscal year 2010-11, the Second Harvest Food Bank distributed 8.3 million pounds of food to 72,600 people in northwest Pennsylvania?
Runners are encouraged to bring any unwanted, non-perishable food items on September 15th, to the Rotary Pavilion. Food donations will also be collected on race day, September 16th, at the start/finish in the Rotary Pavilion Area. The first 500 people to donate food items will receive a Move For Hunger T-shirt.
All food donations will be collected by J.H. Bennett Moving and Storage and brought to the Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest PA after the race.
Please help support those in need in your community!
If you know of anybody still interested, they can register on-line at: https://secure.marathonguide.com/register/ErieMarathon/ at a reduced rate compared to the day before or of race day. On-line registration will remain open through September 13th at midnight.
See you in a little over a week,
Jan and Mike
August 20, 2012:
We are one month away from the start of the 39th annual Erie Marathon at Presque Isle. We currently have about 685 marathon registrations, which are 35 more than the total marathon registrations for last year, and we anticipate another 150 registrants between now and race day – 30% growth. At this point in time, we have 36 USA states represented along with 80 registrants from our great neighbors to the north: Canada.
If you have run with us before, you know we have a beautiful state park to run in, but the biggest drawback is that there is only one two lane road to access the park to get you to your parking area. You will hear this a few more times from us – come early and don’t get stuck in traffic with the locals who think it is only going to be a 20 minute commute like a normal day in the park. We anticipate over 2,000 vehicles on race day so you should plan to be at the park entrance, which is approximately 3 miles from the parking lots, no later than 6:00 am for a 7:00 am start.
We have received numerous emails and calls asking about the possibility of switching from the marathon to the half marathon for various reasons. Most have been due to injuries or just running out of time to properly train, but the best one was a recent conception. Any and all reasons are good to down-size to the half if that is what it takes to keep you in the race. So if you find yourself needing/wanting to down-size, you simply need to send us an email ( Eriemara@yahoo.com ) with your name from the email address you listed on your registration and we will get you switched over to the half. The switch will be done free of charge if done by September 1st. Changes after September 1st will need to be made at packet pick up where there will be an administrative charge of $10 that will be payable at that time.
Good luck with the last few weeks of training.
Jan and Mike
Dear 2011 Erie Marathon Participant, July 23, 2012
Thank you for participating in one of our 2011 Erie Marathon events last year. It appears that a lot of you have already registered for 2012 along with recommending it to others based on our registration numbers so far. In 2011 our registrations grew by 22% over 2010 and we are anticipating a 25% growth rate this year over 2011. We spend zero dollars of your registration fees on advertising, promotion, or applications because we have you out there to spread the word – thanks for being our marketing department.
If you have yet to sign-up to participate this year, you can do so at: https://secure.marathonguide.com/register/ErieMarathon/ at the incredibly low price of $50 for 26.2 miles or $40 for 13.1 miles. This rate is good through August 1st.
New for this year is the addition of your first name in bold letters to the race bib for those registered before August 16th. Our unadvertised sock premium went over so well last year we are now in the process of placing our order for this year – socks are back again.
Here are a few interesting registration trends so far:
- 55% of our entrants to date are female – go girls!
- More than half of the to-date registered are for the full marathon vs the half marathon
- The largest age group represented is 25-29 at 16% of total –65% of this group is female to date
- 36 of the USA states are represented so far – only 3 states exceed the total coming from Canada
For course maps, registration lists, FAQs and more 2012 race details, visit our website, www.eriemarathon.org.
Even with the relatively large increase in participants rates the past few years we have ample parking available – but remember with a single access point to the park, traffic can get backed up so come early on race morning.
Thanks for your past and current support,
Jan and Mike